COVID-19 School Closure
Resources for Special Education Staff:
- Mental Wellness and COVID-19
- Provision of Special Education and FAPE Q & A (updated 5/13/20)
- Providing Equal Access to Distance Learning
- Telelearning Website - Supports for Special Education Providers
- Step-by-Step Guidance for Implementation of Contingency Learning Plans
- Special Education Coaching/Office Hours to Support Distance Learning are Included
Kent ISD Special Education Department
We are dedicated to providing quality programming intended to support and enhance our member districts (local school districts and public school academies). In partnership with our member districts and community partners, the department strives to improve student outcomes for all students with disabilities ages birth to 26.
There are approximately 14,000 students with disabilities served by Kent ISD's 20 local school districts, 23 public school academies and 62 nonpublic schools. Collaborative supports, guidance, resources and technical assistance is provided by Kent ISD to assist with professional development, program development, parent support, technology and legal requirements to ensure that individual and the unique needs of all students are addressed.
Kent ISD provides special education services such as Assistive Technology, Coaching for Autism Spectrum Disorder, Social-Emotional Learning and Specially Designed Instruction as well as Transition, Multi-Tiered System of Supports (Behavior, Literacy and Math), Visual Impairment/ Physical Therapy services, and Center Programming for students throughout the county.