Byron Center Public Schools
Byron Center Public Schools
Strong Schools, Strong Communities
Byron Center Public Schools is responsible for educating nearly 4,000 students. The buildings include the Early Childhood Center, three K-4 Elementary Buildings (Brown Elementary, Countryside Elementary, and Marshall Elementary), Nickels Intermediate (5th-6th Grade), Byron Center West Middle School (7th-8th Grade), and Byron Center High School (9th-12th Grades). BCPS works hard to support students’ learning through the academics, athletics, and the arts. Furthermore, Byron Center Public Schools understands that meeting students’ social and emotional needs is also an integral part of the learning process.
Helping students build success stories.
Strengthening our schools strengthens our future workforce, helping develop talent right here in our district. The students and staff in Byron Center Public Schools are grateful to our voters for approving the Strong Schools, Strong Communities millage which we are putting to good use for students. We help students consider and connect with possible careers, build the skills expected in the workplace and learn about options after graduation, including college, technical training or going directly into the workforce. We offer career and technical coursework through Kent Career Tech Center, Kent Transition Center, and through courses that are set within our curriculum at Byron Center Public Schools.
Academics and Beyond
Strong academics are the basis for all of K-12 learning, beginning with literacy, mathematics, science, social studies. In addition to these areas, we engage students with a wide range of courses including foreign languages, art, STEM and STEAM, AP and Honors courses as well as after-school opportunities ranging from school sports, clubs, and fine arts
Support for Students
Most students will need a little help at some point in their schooling. They might struggle with a particular subject, an assignment, or a life challenge for themselves or their family. We work hard to support students so they succeed, including hiring the best staff to assist them. We support the social/emotional needs of children through a full-time counseling staff and the academic needs of children through highly qualified Interventionists, Academic Support Instructors, and various after school opportunities.
Early childhood is a crucial time in children’s lives, a time when they engage in the world around them and learn all the basics they will use in school and beyond. Our Great Start Readiness Preschool classroom helps children prepare for school success. In addition, Byron Center Public Schools offers a private pre-school for our three-year-old and four-year-old learners. The Early Childhood Staff work collaboratively with our elementary staff to ensure students are kindergarten-ready.
How Byron Center is using the funds generated from the enhancement millage:
- Enhancement funding areas focus on social, emotional and behavioral supports in the classrooms. Specifically, counseling and behavior intervention have now been implemented in the K-12 setting.
- Funding has also been used for increased support in academic areas such as math and reading. Interventionists have been hired to support all levels of academic learning. Through this support, students are able to be met at their ability and continue to excel academically.
- Extra funding has been used to create successful extracurricular programs to support out of the classroom initiatives. One specific area that the enhancement funding has helped accomplish is an after-school program at the intermediate school. Through this program students get continued support beyond the normal school day.
Enhancement millage dollars
Byron Center has received the following in enhancement millage dollars:
- 2017-18 amount received - $848,903.45
- 2018-19 amount received - $939,195.40
- 2019-20 amount received - $1,004,494.70
- 2020-21 amount expected - $1,024,767.15
Byron Center Public Schools, in partnership with the community, will educate and prepare each student to be a responsible citizen capable of pursuing life goals, now and in the future.
"Helping Students Build Success Stories."
About Our District
From Early Childhood programs to college-level Advanced Placement classes, our goal is to graduate caring, educated adults with extraordinary involvement from parents, and an exceptional staff committed to the success of each student. We truly are "opening the doors of tomorrow for students today."
- School buildings - 6
- Student population - 3,500+