Equity & Student Success
What We Do
Kent ISD serves learners across a wide spectrum of needs from birth through adulthood. The Equity & Student Success team supports the organization's commitment to providing equitable opportunities to enrich the experiences of all learners. That includes supporting our local school partners so that they can do the same for their students, educators and communities.
- Consultation: We work both with our own staff and students and offer consulting and support to districts. If your school wants to improve outcomes for students, whatever unique challenges or obstacles they face, we are here to help!
- Professional Development: We offer PD for educators on the latest tools, resources and teaching methods to foster success among all students. Follow the link above for upcoming PD opportunities.
Related Kent ISD Initiatives
In addition to the work of Equity and Student Success team, Kent ISD promotes the success stories of all learners through the Your Dream is Our Dream initiative. To view and share stories of students achieving their dreams with the help of local educators, click the link below!
Kent ISD's Equity Vision
Students are valued partners in their schooling and empowered to use their voice while seeing themselves throughout their environments. Students feel welcomed through culturally responsive and culturally sustaining practices, positioned to be actively engaged so they achieve high academic and social emotional success, graduating college, career and life-ready.
In Kent ISD equity means….
- All students have a sense of belonging, feel valued and safe
- All students are engaged, empowered and supported with equitable resources and opportunities
- All students will build competencies and conversations on critical topics related to equity
- All students achieve academic success to their highest potential and are fully-prepared for their future in college, career and life
- All student, family and community voices, inclusive of underrepresented communities, are amplified and integrated into our decision-making
- Families are valued participants and are actively engaged, feel welcomed and feel ownership in their child’s education
- Students experience equitable representation in curriculum, personnel and culturally responsive practices
Working Toward our Vision
We recognize that taking a systematic approach with departments and teams at all levels of our organization is the best way to help us realize our Equity Vision and ultimately success for all students. That is why we have tasked our departments and programs with developing actionable goals and initiatives that will support our Equity Vision. This includes actions such as:
- Allocating resources to address current inequities and to create equitable systems (i.e., financial, personnel, professional learning etc.)
- Hiring equity-minded individuals who are invested in equity for our most marginalized and historically under-resourced populations
- Reviewing data and metrics for progress monitoring and accountability and using data to inform visioning, goal setting and decision making
- Eliciting and integrating student and family voice in decision making
These are just a few examples of the activities we are undertaking across our organization.