SIGNIFIGANCE OF SCECHs
Generic Clock Hours cannot be used toward renewal of a Michigan Teacher or School Psychologist Certificate. Only state approved SCECH training counts toward certificate renewal. Training programs and/or conferences sponsored by either an authorized provider of the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET) and/or Michigan Virtual University (MVU) may be eligible for SCECH via a collaborative agreement between MDE and IACET and MVU, respectively.
In addition to traditional workshops, seminars, training, and conferences, the State Board of Education, has approved non-traditional professional development activities, which are also eligible to receive SCECH credit. These SCECH activities are as follows:
- Serving as a Mentor Teacher
- Serving as a Supervising Teacher
- Serving as a Supervising School Psychologist
- Serving on a State Board-Appointed Advisory Committee
- Serving on an Approved Accreditation Review and/or Site Visit Team
- Serving on a School or School District's PA 25 School Improvement Team
- Completion of the Portfolio Component of the National Board or Professional Teaching Standards (90 SCECHs)
- Completion of the certification process and being awarded from the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards
COMMON QUESTIONS ABOUT SCECHS ANSWERED
What is a SCECH?
State Continuing Education Clock Hours (SCECHs, formerly SB-CEUs) are State Board-approved in-service, workshop, training, or conference credits that are used for the renewal of selected certificates issued by the Michigan Department of Education (MDE).
How are SCECHs Calculated?
SCECHs are calculating the total number of contact or instructional hours. Thus, an eight-hour session would be eligible to receive eight (8) clock hours.
Who is eligible to use SCECHs for certificate renewal?
Based on Michigan's certification criteria individuals who hold the following certificates are eligible to use SCECH for certificate renewal every five years:
- The Professional Education Certificate
- The Occupational Education Certificate
- The School Psychologist Certificate
The above certificates require renewal every five years. The renewal requirement includes the completion of six semester hours of appropriate coursework through an approved institution, 150 SCECHs, or a combination of both. School Administrators are required to complete six semester hours, 150 SCECHs or a combination of both every five years for continued employment.
FOR A LISTING OF APPROVED SCECH PROGRAMS, PLEASE VISIT:
Questions, inquiries, concerns can be emailed to Kent ISD's SCECH Department
BRIANNA CONNERS , SCECHCOORDINATOR