Questions About My District

Our local communities have generously provided the bonds and millages over the past few years to upgrade school buildings and technology, so students can learn in safe, updated buildings with the computers so necessary in our modern lives.

Unfortunately, none of those funds can be used to operate the schools, buy books or electricity, or pay the teachers and staff who work hard for students every day. These dollars – called operating funds – come from property taxes paid by the homeowners in every district. They used to go directly to the schools until a 1994 law called Proposal A changed that. Now all the dollars go to Lansing, but they don’t fully fund our schools.

We have a big gap between the dollars they send us and the bills. It’s that simple. Even with low inflation, the amount Lansing sends doesn’t even keep pace with it. Schools have cut expenses and administrative staff, sent some services like accounting and tech help to Kent ISD and spent much of their rainy day savings on the bills. Some are nearly out of savings now. Almost all of them will be out of savings in just three years if they continue to supplement their budgets from savings. The other alternative will be cuts to programs. 

We want you to be heard and have provide the links below for your questions.  Click on the school district of your residence to submit questions or concerns.

May 2 Enhancement Millage request to voters: .9 mills for 10 years


Byron Center Public Schools Form Caledonia Community Schools Form Cedar Springs Public Schools Form
Comstock Park Public Schools Form East Grand Rapids Public School Form Forest Hills Public Schools Form
Godrey Lee Public Schools Form Godwin Heights Public Schools Form
Grandville Public Schools Form Kelloggsville Public Schools Form
Kent City Community Schools Form
Northview Public Schools Rockford Public Schools Form Sparta Area Schools Form
Thornapple Kellogg Schools Form Wyoming Public Schools Form