Phase 1 Update
The month of June 2018, Phase 1 of the Center Based Program Review process, is dedicated to developing an understanding of the current context and multiple perspectives related to the Kent County Center Based Programs. In addition, the use of an interview process with key stakeholders supports the development of critical priorities and process boundaries for the design of Phase 2. The information shared and discovered during this phase informs the design of Phase 2 which will begin July 1st and end December 31st, 2018. Phase 3 of the proposal for this process addresses and supports the large-scale implementation challenges related to recommendations for improvement discovered and articulated in previous phases of the process. Phase 3 would be conducted during the calendar year of 2019.
To date there has been in excess of 28 hours of interviews conducted with, parents, staff, staff representatives, superintendents, principals and directors. These interviews were conducted in 1:1 or small group settings and assured participants the following:
- Perspectives were honored
- Information shared is held in confidence
- Mutual discovery of priorities is valued
- All information and every perspective is considered
- Consensus priorities will emerge and inform the design of Phase 2
Currently all information and perspectives shared are being logged and analyzed. This process, conducted privately by the independent consultant, reveals key consensus themes, priority areas, concerns and challenges. This information is used to develop the foundations for Phase 2 and inform the consultant of the following:
- How to design and conduct future stakeholder engagement meetings,
- Strategies/approaches for conducting program observations and walk through sessions of each Center Based Program,
- Critical voices/perspectives to engage and communicate with,
- Necessary boundaries to assure process integrity,
- Essential areas and priorities to conduct additional discovery,
- Potential areas for key improvement strategies,
- Emergent areas for implementation challenges.
During the remainder of June, the independent consultant will finalize the logging and analysis process, form recommendations and write a brief report, which will be widely shared with all stakeholders. The Phase 1 report will include the following summaries and recommendations:
- Outcomes and themes of Phase 1 process,
- Recommended stakeholder engagement meetings,
- Program observation protocols,
- Process strategies,
- Suggested timelines,
- Phase 2 boundaries (what the review will and will not address),
- Communication strategies.
The review process will allow for additional and new information to inform the design and implementation of the entire process, this flexible, customizable approach allows for continued and valued stakeholder engagement along the way, ensuring all voices are heard, equity is maintained, and the focus of this process remains on providing students access to quality instruction, supports and services.