Child & Family Care
Careers in the Human Services pathway are related to economic, political, and social systems. If you like helping families, working with children and older adults, and community partners then come join our fun and energetic team. Families are our future!
You Can Learn ...
- Human Services Career Cluster Exploration
- Child Care Careers
- Safety and Sanitation, First-Aid & CPR Certification
- Introduction to Certified Nurse Assistant (CNA) training
- Developmentally Appropriate Practices
- Ages & Stages of Life Cycle
- Creating Learning Activities
- Nutrition and Health
- Working with Families & Communities
Students considering this program:
- Have excellent punctuality and attendance
- Can communicate well with peers, parents and children
- Enjoys helping people and solving problems
- Has a passion for working with families and communities
- Is loving, caring, energetic and friendly
- Likes reading, storytelling, traveling, or tutoring young children?
Child & Family Care Business Partners include:
Grand Rapids Community College, AppleTree Learning Center, Kent ISD Early On, Lincoln School, White Early Child Care Center, YMCA, Orchard Hill Childcare center, Rainbow Childcare, Porter Hills
Meet our Instructional Staff
Teyondra Burch, Instructor
Hi, I'm Ms. Tey! This is my 5th year at the Transition Center. I started as the CTE or Career Tech Education Specialist for the Child & Family Care classroom, making sure that the needs of the students were met and also assist the teacher in the classroom with planning and implementing ideas. In January of 2021, I became the instructor of this program and am so exciting for this opportunity!
I hold childcare certifications in CPR/First Aid, Cognitive Coaching, & Safe-Schools. I also have a Bachelor's Degree in Child Development and Sociology, with a Youth Concentration, from Central Michigan University. I have been working with children since I was in the 10th grade. I have experience in After School/Summer programs, Day Cares, as well as being a Reading Specialist and now a Career Tech Specialist. I also have a small business tutoring elementary students.
I enjoy watching football, shopping, and playing with my son.