Child & Family Care
Careers in the Human Services pathway are related to economic, political, and social systems. If you like helping families, working with children and older adults, and community partners then come join our fun and energetic team. Families are our future!
You Can Learn ...
- Human Services Career Cluster Exploration
- Child Care Careers
- Safety and Sanitation, First-Aid & CPR Certification
- Introduction to Certified Nurse Assistant (CNA) training
- Developmentally Appropriate Practices
- Ages & Stages of Life Cycle
- Creating Learning Activities
- Nutrition and Health
- Working with Families & Communities
Students considering this program:
- Have excellent punctuality and attendance
- Can communicate well with peers, parents and children
- Enjoys helping people and solving problems
- Has a passion for working with families and communities
- Is loving, caring, energetic and friendly
- Likes reading, storytelling, traveling, or tutoring young children?
Child & Family Care Business Partners include:
Grand Rapids Community College, AppleTree Learning Center, Kent ISD Early On, Lincoln School, White Early Child Care Center, YMCA, Orchard Hill Childcare center, Rainbow Childcare, Porter Hills
Meet our Instructional Staff
Beth Mazur, Instructor
Hello! I'm Beth Mazur or Mrs. Beth, Child & Family Care Instructor. I have been with KTC for over 17 years. After working the field of Business, Family and Fine Dining, Resident Aid and volunteering in local schools for several years, I decided to become a teacher. I really like sharing work experience and knowledge with students. I love watching them grow and develop in this field that can do such wonderful things for our community.
- Retail Sales & Marketing
- Restaurant Management & Training
- Work to School Community Liaison
- School to Work Community Liaison
- Resident Aide at St. Ann's Home
- Master's in Special Education from Grand Valley State University
- Bachelor's in Wage Earning Home Economics from Ferris State University
- Professional Education Certificate in Business Education and Hospitality from Ferris State University
- Occupational Education Certificates in Child and Custodial Care and Personal and Culinary Services from Ferris State University
- Associates from Grand Rapids Community College
My awesome husband, Bob, and I have four children, 3 grandchildren and a cairn terrier named Wiskey - he is so fun. :) When I'm not teaching, my family and I love camping and traveling. We all like sports, especially football and cheer. I also like crafting and gardening.
Teyondra Burch, CTE Specialist
Hi, I'm Ms. Tey! This is my 5th year as the CTE or Career Tech Education Specialist for the Child & Family Care classroom. I make sure that the needs of the students are met and also assist the teacher in the classroom with planning and implementing ideas.
I hold childcare certifications in CPR/First Aid, Cognitive Coaching, & Safe-Schools. I also have a Bachelor's Degree in Child Development and Sociology, with a Youth Concentration, from Central Michigan University. I have been working with children since I was in the 10th grade. I have experience in After School/Summer programs, Day Cares, as well as being a Reading Specialist and now a Career Tech Specialist. I also have a small business tutoring elementary students.
I enjoy watching football, shopping, and playing with my son.