Because Teachers Need Field Trips Too!
Educators spend a day out of the classroom with local employers, exploring industry trends and ways to connect their classroom content to the work world and best business practices. Businesses may host from one to 30 educators at a time for 1 to 2 hours in length. Tours will consist of meeting with 2-3 different employers spanning a variety of business focuses.
Experiences at businesses might include:
- A description of the company, their features, functions culture and what makes them unique to their industry
- A tour of the facilities, including roles and specific focus areas of the business
- Discussions with employees consisting of a variety of roles, skill sets and experience levels
- A hand-on activity or experience
Generally, visits will be diversified to ensure a range of industries are covered, although some events may be themed to focus on a specific field/industry. Cost for these events is $10, which covers lunch and transportation to/from businesses. SCECHs may also be available. Unable to go because your school can't cover for a sub? Substitute reimbursement is available on an as-need basis, up to $100. Complete this form, submit it prior to the event, and we will review it based on need and available funds.
The purpose of this professional development experience is to:
- To encourage meaningful collaboration between educators and the business community
- To learn about the variety of career options available so they can share them with a future workforce
- To highlight information about the various skills local employers require for today’s workforce
- To help educators connect their classroom content standards to real world applications and business practices so that students are college- and career-ready
Tues., November 19 Wed., March 4 Wed., May 6
CHECK OUT WHAT THESE PARTICIPANTS HAD TO SAY ABOUT IT:
THE PD HUB IS NOW ACCEPTING ENROLLMENT FOR THE NOVEMBER 19, 2019 TEACHERS IN INDUSTRY. CLICK THIS PD HUB LINK TO REGISTER.
About the Employers We Will Visit on 11/19/2019:
Lemmen-Holton Cancer Pavilion – Spectrum Health Cancer Center is a collaboration of Spectrum Health’s network of hospitals, Spectrum Health Medical Group and affiliated providers. Together, we provide a full range of cancer services including, prevention, screening and diagnosis, personalized cancer treatment, integrative therapies, supportive care services, access to clinical trials and leading edge technology.
Owen-Ames-Kimball - Beginning in 1891, four young engineers in Grand Rapids had a vision to build a great city. They cared about people, first and foremost, and established an employee-owned construction company that eventually became Owen-Ames-Kimball (O-A-K). Today, O‑A‑K offers commercial construction services to clients, specifically West Michigan and Southwest Florida. At our core, we are culturally humble and driven. We specialize in community-driven construction projects, offering a customized experience.
Have you started to look around your classroom and wonder, "What's Next?" or dream about the job you will do after high school? Are you interested in pulling back the curtain of the world of work and spending the day with a mentor? If you answered "yes" - #GSD20 is for you!
When: March 13, 2018
Time: 9AM - 2PM
Where:You get to choose the role that is right for you - there are almost 300 roles to shadow for the day! Click here for more GSD 20 information!