Because Teachers Need Field Trips Too!
Educators spend a day out of the classroom with local employers, exploring industry trends and ways to connect their classroom content to the work world and best business practices. Businesses may host from one to 30 educators at a time for 1 to 2 hours in length. Tours will consist of meeting with 2-3 different employers spanning a variety of business focuses.
Experiences at businesses might include:
- A description of the company, their features, functions culture and what makes them unique to their industry
- A tour of the facilities, including roles and specific focus areas of the business
- Discussions with employees consisting of a variety of roles, skill sets and experience levels
- A hand-on activity or experience
Generally, visits will be diversified to ensure a range of industries are covered, although some events may be themed to focus on a specific field/industry. Cost for these events is $10, which covers lunch and transportation to/from businesses. SCECHs may also be available. Unable to go because your school can't cover for a sub? Substitute reimbursement is available on an as-need basis, up to $100. Complete this form, submit it prior to the event, and we will review it based on need and available funds.
The purpose of this professional development experience is to:
- To encourage meaningful collaboration between educators and the business community
- To learn about the variety of career options available so they can share them with a future workforce
- To highlight information about the various skills local employers require for today’s workforce
- To help educators connect their classroom content standards to real world applications and business practices so that students are college- and career-ready
Thur., September 26 Tues., November 19 Wed., March 4 Wed., May 6
CHECK OUT WHAT THESE PARTICIPANTS HAD TO SAY ABOUT IT:
THE PD HUB IS NOW ACCEPTING ENROLLMENT FOR THE SEPTEMBER 26, 2019 TEACHERS IN INDUSTRY. CLICK THIS PD HUB LINK TO REGISTER.
About the Employers We Will Visit on 9/26/2019:
Gill Industries – Started as a small tool & die company by John Gill and his brother-in-law Gerald Williams in 1964, this small, family-run business introduced stamping in the 70's and welding & assembly in the 80's. Today, Gill is a global manufacturing leader in the supply of precision-engineered assemblies and modules for the automotive, multi-use vehicle and furniture industries, with offices and partnerships in Europe, China, India, Korea and Mexico as well as the US.
CQL - An integrated digital agency, CQL crafts innovative digital experiences and commerce solutions to help brands transform their business. For more than two decades we have been fortunate to have both local businesses and the world’s most iconic brands as our customers. We have helped them launch their digital stores, streamline business processes and envision world-changing ideas.
Have you started to look around your classroom and wonder, "What's Next?" or dream about the job you will do after high school? Are you interested in pulling back the curtain of the world of work and spending the day with a mentor? If you answered "yes" - #GSD20 is for you!
When: March 13, 2018
Time: 9AM - 2PM
Where:You get to choose the role that is right for you - there are almost 300 roles to shadow for the day! Click here for more GSD 20 information!