Health Career Immersion
VIRTUAL HEALTH CAREERS IMMERSION PROGRAM
Due to COVID-19 and hospital restrictions, the Kent ISD Health Careers Immersion program is now a 6-week virtual internship experience. Kent County students in 9-12 grade are invited to participate.
Are you considering a career in health care after graduation? Maybe wondering what it is really like to work in a neo-natal unit, or on a surgical floor at a hospital? Do you know the difference between a Nurse Practitioner and a Physician's Assistant? What about the demand for good paying health care positions that only require a 2-year college degree? Have you considered non-hospital health career settings and the opportunities they offer?
Kent ISD and local health care professionals are offering Kent County students, grades 9-12, an opportunity get these answers, while learning about a variety of careers, so that they can make an informed career decision upon graduation. While in-person job shadows are certainly preferred, we are excited to offer a virtual version of the Kent ISD Health Careers Immersion Program on February 16 - March 25, 2021 (Tuesdays/Thursdays), 3:30 PM - 4:00 PM.*
This virtual internship will provide students an opportunity to:
- Interact with 12 health care professionals in a variety of occupations and settings through 30-minute Zoom Career Chats
- Ask questions and get the "inside scoop" directly from people in the industry
- Earn a Certificate of Completion to enhance resume and scholarship/college applications
- Gain valuable insights about their own interests, values and personality
- Practice time management, interpersonal communication, networking and critical thinking skills
- Clarify their own career goals and develop next steps
CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION REQUIREMENTS
- Participate in 12 Career Chats. Students will have an opportunity to ask direct questions to the role models via the chat feature.
- Compete a brief reflection for each Career Chat (a form will be provided)
- Conduct one personal Informational Interview with an adult in a career of interest, and submit notes.
- Complete an interest inventory and personality assessment. Based on results, a conduct career research on one of your preferred occupations. (Instructions will be provided.)
These Certificate of Completion tasks are intended to create a meaningful career exploration experience. The Certificate provides students the documentation needed for talent portfolios, scholarship/college applications and resumes.
*Students that have athletic or employment conflicts will be able to watch recordings of the Career Chats, enabling them to participate in this virtual program.
If you have questions, please contact Krista Harmon, firstname.lastname@example.org or 616-365-2369.