Health Career Immersion
VIRTUAL HEALTH CAREERS IMMERSION PROGRAM
Due to COVID-19 and hospital restrictions, the Kent ISD Health Careers Immersion program will be run as an 7-week virtual internship experience for Fall 2020.
Kent County students in 9-12 grade are invited to participate.
REGISTRATION FOR THE FALL 2020 SESSION IS CLOSED.
We will be evaluating this virtual format and making a decision about a Spring 2021 session by mid-November.
All students are invited to participate in the live Career Chat discussions with the health care professionals. Check out the Career Chat page for the full schedule.
Are you considering a career in health care after graduation? Maybe wondering what it is really like behind the scenes of a neo-natal unit, or on a surgical floor at a hospital? Do you know the difference between a Nurse Practitioner and a Physician's Assistant? What about the demand for good paying health care positions that only require a 2-year college degree? Have you considered non-hospital health career settings and the opportunities they offer?
Kent ISD and local health care professionals are offering Kent County students, grades 9-12, an opportunity get these answers, while learning about a variety of careers, so that you can make an informed career decision upon graduation. While in-person job shadows are certainly preferred, we are excited to offer a virtual version of the Kent ISD Health Careers Immersion Program starting on September 15.
This virtual internship will provide students an opportunity to:
- Interact with 12-16 health care professionals in a variety of occupations and settings through 30-minute Zoom Career Chats
- Ask questions and get the "inside scoop" directly from people in the industry
- Earn a Certificate of Completion to enhance resume and scholarship/college applications
- Gain valuable insights about their own interests, values and personality
- Practice time management, interpersonal communication, networking and critical thinking skills
- Clarify their own career goals and develop next steps
CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION REQUIREMENTS
- Participate in 14 Career Chats. You will have an opportunity to ask direct questions to the role models via the chat feature. 3:30 PM - 4:00 PM, September 15 - October 29
- Compete a brief reflection for each Career Chat (a form will be provided)
- Conduct one personal Informational Interview with an adult in a career of interest, and submit notes.
- Attend at least one in-person job shadow. (We currently have a Physical Therapy clinic that has offered in-person opportunities for Immersion interns. Participants may also seek their own placement). Submit brief reflection upon completion.
- Complete an interest inventory and personality assessment. Based on results, a conduct research on one of your preferred occupations. (Instructions will be provided.)
These Certificate of Completion tasks are intended to create a meaningful career exploration experience. The Certificate provides students the documentation needed for talent portfolios, scholarship/college applications and resumes.
If you have questions, please contact Krista Harmon, email@example.com or 616-365-2369.