Career Explorers is a 6-week virtual career exploration experience to help students learn about 12 different occupations within a specific pathway of interest.
Do you have a gut feeling that you belong somewhere in business, but don't know what is available? Or maybe everyone has told you that engineering would be a good field for you, but you have no idea where to start? Wondering how to use your natural artistic ability in a career to support yourself?
Kent ISD and local professionals are offering Kent County students, grades 7-12, an opportunity get these answers, while learning about a variety of careers, so that they can make informed career decisions upon graduation.
Careers In Business will be the first pathway focus.
April 13 - May 20, 2021 (Tuesdays/Thursdays), 3:30 PM - 4:00 PM.*
This virtual career exploration experience will provide students the opportunity to:
- Interact with 12 business professionals in a variety of occupations and settings through 30-minute Zoom Career Chats (career conversations)
- Ask questions and get the "inside scoop" directly from people in the industry
- Earn a certificate of completion to enhance scholarship/college applications and resumes
- Gain valuable insights about their own interests, values and personality
- Practice time management, interpersonal communication, networking and critical thinking skills
- Clarify their own career goals and develop next steps
CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION REQUIREMENTS
- Participate in 12 Career Chats. Students will have an opportunity to ask direct questions to the role models via the chat feature.
- Compete a brief reflection for each Career Chat (a form will be provided)
- Conduct one personal Informational Interview with an adult in a career of interest, and submit notes.
- Complete an interest inventory and personality assessment to gain personal insights.
These certificate of completion tasks are intended to create a meaningful career exploration experience. The certificate provides students the documentation needed for talent portfolios, scholarship/college applications and resumes.
*While attendance during the "live" Zoom events is expected, students with athletic or employment conflicts can also participate by watching recorded content.
Registration deadline is April 9, 2021 @ 5:00 PM.
April/May Career Explorers Line-up
Janet Korn - Sr. Vice President
RyanStruck-VanderHaak - Corporate Recruiter
Jorge Gonzalez - Director
Joanne Perschbacher - CFO
Kamminga & Roodvoets, Inc.
Rosemary Kolderman - Assistant to the Executive Office
The Right Place, Inc.
Akia Pierce - Regional Team Lead Talent Acquisition
Kelsey Haynes Bako - Community Relations & Partnerships
Kiersten Schulte - Project Manager
West Michigan Works!
Eleanor Moreno - Director
Grandville Ave Arts and Humanities
Bryan Bickford - Associate Director of Advertising and Writing (Marketing)
Grand Valley State University
Sean Wright - VP of Corporate Sales
Grand Rapids Griffins
Chris McKellar - Owner
Love's Ice Cream