Career Explorers is a flexible virtual career exploration experience to help students learn about occupations in a variety of pathways.
Do you have a gut feeling that you belong somewhere in business, but don't know what is available? Or maybe everyone has told you that engineering would be a good field for you, but you have no idea where to start? Wondering how to use your natural artistic ability in a career to support yourself?
Kent ISD and local professionals are offering Kent County students, grades 7-12, an opportunity get these answers.
This virtual career exploration experience will provide students the opportunity to:
- Meet 6 professionals through 30-minute Zoom Career Chats (career conversations). Live or recorded sessions are available to meet the needs of busy students
- Ask questions and get the "inside scoop" directly from people in the industry
- Earn a certificate of completion to enhance scholarship/college applications and resumes
- Gain valuable insights about their own interests, values and personality
- Practice time management, interpersonal communication, networking and critical thinking skills
- Clarify their own career goals and develop next steps
CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION REQUIREMENTS
- Participate in at least 6 Career Chats. Students will have an opportunity to ask direct questions to the role models via the chat feature. Recorded sessions are also available
- Compete a brief reflection for each Career Chat (a form will be provided)
- Conduct one personal Informational Interview with an adult in a career of interest, and submit notes
- Complete an interest inventory and personality assessment to gain personal insights
These Certificate of Completion tasks are intended to create a meaningful career exploration experience. The certificate provides students a credential to be used for talent portfolios, scholarship/college applications and resumes.
2022-2023 Career Explorers Sessions:
- October 3, 2022 - November 11, 2022
- December 5, 2022 - January 13, 2023
- March 6, 2023 - April 14, 2023
Career Explorers Series
Career Readiness Events
Profile of a Career Ready Graduate 8:00 AM to 11:00 AMProfile of a Career Ready GraduateDate: Dec 7Time: 8:00 AM to 11:00 AMCalendar: Career Readiness Event Calendar - CURRENTIf the 'ultimate goal' of education is to prepare students to become successful, well-adjusted, productive members of society, how do we know when we've accomplished that? Is it simply by student graduation rates? Or could it be more than just that? Register here.
Navigating College Prep 9:00 AM to 11:00 AMNavigating College PrepDate: Jan 10Time: 9:00 AM to 11:00 AMCalendar: Career Readiness Event Calendar - CURRENT
Educator PD - 2 SCECHs
Discussing: Application Process - understand your part in a students' application process as well as how to guide them to create a standout application and essay