SPECIAL EDUCATION CENTER PROGRAMS REVIEW
In an effort to identify best practices for student learning in the midst of changing needs and regulations in special education, the superintendents of the Kent Intermediate Superintendents Association (KISA) asked Kent ISD to arrange for an independent review of Grand Rapids Public Schools operated special education center programs.
Soon after, Kent ISD’s School Board hired a consultant to conduct this independent review. This national consultant is Beth A. Steenwyk, who has extensive experience in special education in Michigan and other states.
The consultant’s work began in June 2018, with preliminary listening sessions in the form of interviews with key stakeholders, including parents, staff and administrators. These early sessions helped her learn the main issues for the study. More extensive outreach to parents and educators, including focus groups, happen as the study gets underway in July.
Updates on the review process, timelines, meetings and more will be posted here as the study takes shape.
- KISA requests review of Grand Rapids Public Schools operated Special Ed Center Programs
- Kent ISD searches for consultant to conduct a review
- Kent ISD School Board approves hiring consultant Beth A. Steenwyk
Phase 1 – June 1-31, 2018
Preliminary investigation and understanding of current situation
- Interviews with key stakeholders to help determine priorities
- Concludes with a brief report shared with all stakeholders
- Phase One report will include
- the interview summaries
- key findings
- recommendations for Phase Two
Phase 2 – July 1 – Dec 31, 2018
Deeper dive into issues and development of recommendations
- “town hall meetings” with key stakeholder groups
- focus groups based on specific concerns to gain a deeper understanding of issues
- extensive observations in GRPS operated Center-based Programs
- concludes with a report to superintendents with
- summaries of all stakeholder meetings and focus groups
- program observation findings
- a comprehensive analysis of critical areas of concern
- opportunities for growth and improvement
- recommendations for implementation and change strategies
Phase 3 – Jan 1-Dec 31, 2019
Consultant addresses and supports the large-scale implementation challenges related to recommendations for improvement.
Meetings, updates and other important dates related to the Review will be posted to this calendar as they are scheduled.
As part of the review process, Beth Steenwyk and select Kent ISD Special Education staff will visit each center program to conduct observations. See what's involved in each visit and the visit schedule.
Following several town hall style meetings and focus groups with parents and staff, Beth Steenwyk presented updates to the area's Special Education administrators in September 2018.