Stay informed about Literacy!
Each of the sites below contains helpful tips, tools, research, and information on programs and services available for learners of all ages. It is in an archive format for retrieval of past documents.
Kent County PreK-12 Literacy Coaches Network (article published in GVSU Colleagues Volume II Issue I, May 2007)
Resources for Literacy Learning.
Resources identified in this section are primarily support for K-12 classroom teachers. However some sites provide specific support for parents, adult literacy learners, and for community member wishing to volunteer their services to support literacy learning within our schools.
Document Resources (PDF format):
Check out the organizations listed below for literacy material resources and learning experiences for individuals, families, and learning organizations.
Greater Grand Rapids Reads Literacy - Contact Fritz Crabb @ 616-632-1001
Fredrick Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park
Grand Rapids Public Libraries
Grand Rapids Children's Museum
Grand Rapids Public Museum
Grand Rapids Art Museum
Grand Rapids Civic Theatre
Kent District Library
Grand Rapids Press
Barnes and Noble Bookstore - 616-954-2211
Pooh Bookstore - 616-942-9887
Schuler Books and Music Store - 616-942-2561
WOOD TV 8
WZZM TV 13
F.A.C.T.S. - Families and Community together for Students. - A volunteer tutoring program offered during and after school to the Grand Rapids Public Schools. contact the F.A.C.T.S..' office at United Way, 616-632-1002 or FACTS@unitedwaycares.com
Literacy Center of West Michigan - For more than 20 years, our proven programs have helped thousands of people learn to read and improve their English language skills. At the Literacy Center of West Michigan we are committed to helping West Michigan residents reach their full potential.
Kids Hope USA - Mentoring program for K-12 studentsoffered in partnership with churches and schools. Many public and private schools within Kent County have a school/church partnership facilitated by Kids Hope USA. For further information contact 616-455-0110.
Local Kent County School districts - Most school districts offer unique programs to their residents' needs. Connect with district school leaders for answers to your questions on tutoring support programs.
Check out the K-12 student literacy tutoring programs offered at local colleges. Most tutoring programs are offered during the summer. Contact the Education Department at each college.
Aquinas College - 616-632-8900
Calvin college - 616-957-6000
Grand Rapids Community College - 616-234-4000
Grand Valley State University - 616-331-7360
Western Michigan University (GR campus) 616-771-9470
- U.S. Dept of Ed - Federally supported teaching & learning resources.
- Center for the Improvement of Early Reading Achievement
- COORISD, Crawford, Oscoda, Ogemaw, Roscommon Intermediate
- ERIC Clearinghouse on Reading, English, and Communication
- Helping Your Child Learn to Read
- Kent Reading Council
- International Reading Association
- Learning to Read
- Michigan Reading Association
- Michigan Secondary Reading Interest Council
- Mid-continent Research for Education & Learning
- Middle Web – (resources for secondary ed.)
- Muskegon Area Intermediate School District
- National Institute for Literacy
- National Council of Teachers of English
- National Reading Panel
- North Central Regional Educational Laboratory - Center for Literacy - The Literacy Program Evaluation Tool
- Reading Improvement, Family Literacy Resource Notebook - This site is especially valuable for teachers providing family literacy support. Chapter 7 of the notebook contains successful parent – child activities
- 700 Great Sites : Amazing Spectacular Mysterious Websites for Kids and Adults to Explore Together
- Partnership for Family Involvement in Education
- National Center for Family Literacy
- Florida Center for Reading Research
- Get Ready To Read - Excellent Family Literacy site - Assessment tools and strategies,
- Learning Point Associates , formerly, North Central Regional Educational Laboratory Center for Literacy
- GLCE aligned with MLPP
- National Association of Elementary and Secondary Principals
- National Coalition for Parent Involvement in Education
- The Partnership for Reading
- Reading Rockets : Launching Young Readers
- K-12 lesson plans covering a wide range of reading and language arts topics
- Search Institute - Profiles of Student Attitudes and Behaviors
- Solution Tree (formerly National Education Service)