This page is intended to disseminate information to families about upcoming community events and resources.
- Mary Free Bed Adaptive Sports
- West Michigan Miracle League - baseball opportunity for kids with physical and mental disabilities.
ACT (formerly VSA) - Art Classes
- Comprehensive Therapy Center - therapy, fun clinics, family workshops
- There is a Facebook group through the Conductive Learning Center for families with children with motor disabilities such as cerebral palsy and spina bifida: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ceparentsgr/
- The Gideon Academic Center hosts an autism parent support group. See flyer for details.
- Family Hope Foundation works to connect families to resources. Check our community calendar on our website anytime to see what's happening!
- Spartan YMCA Family Hope Program: This program was started by two Dads who saw a need for more social-based programs for young adults. This program is intended for higher functioning ASD young adults and adults 17 years and older. It is free of charge and they have monthly themes. Please find their attached program schedule. If you are interested in attending and have any questions, you may contact Doug at email@example.com or 616-633-4533.
- Indian Trails Camp - Sumer Day Camp Schedule is out. Also, check their website for all the other cool programming they offer!
- Camp Horizon - Please visit our website for more information: www.pioneerresources.org. Hover over Programs, and click on Camping and Recreation. On the left hand side there will be a link to Camp Horizon that will tell you what we are all about.
- Camp Roger
- Check out this Kent ISD compiled list: Summer Camps & Recreational Activities
SUPPORT GROUP - Tuesday, April 11, 7pm
Kent ISD Educational Services Center Bldg. 2930 Knapp NE, Grand Rapids **NEW Location! Sue Pratt, a Parent Advocate, will be speaking. For more info, please call me at 616-752-8577. Future Support Group Meeting are May 15, June 13, and August 22. Check our website for details.
EASTER EGG HUNT FOR ALL AGES!
Join us for a morning of egg hunting, games, prizes, crafts, and donuts on Saturday, April 15, 10am at Countryside Elementary, 8200 Eastern Avenue, Byron Center. Activities will be held inside, but the Easter Bunny may hide the eggs outside, if it's nice enough. Call me to RSVP, please, at 616-752-8577.
ASK NIGHT AT MITTEN BREWING!
Come on Monday, April 24, for Michigan's BEST pizza, great beer, and to support ASK! The Mitten is very generous to us, and this year is no exception! Part of the sales from Monday, April 24, will be donated to ASK. (Last year, we received over $2,000!) Come eat any time that day or order take out, but plan ahead, as it gets busy. The Mitten is located at 527 Leonard NW, Grand Rapids.
2017 WALK FOR AUTISM ON SUNDAY, MAY 7!
Join us at the Zoo for a great day of togetherness, games, snacks, a one-mile walk around John Ball Park, a Resource Fair, and FUN! The Walk Event brings together over 500 people touched by autism-- family, friends, and businesses are there! This event raises money for the important programs that we do, and this event makes sure that we continue to offer programs and services and family events at no charge to families.
To participate, everyone is asked to bring in donations worth $25 per person. Your donations of $25 get you into the event, get you a pass to the Zoo that can be used any day this season, and gets you a t-shirt. To start raising money online and to register, please go to "FirstGiving.com". Search for Autism Support of Kent County, and you should see our 2017 Walk for Autism listed there.
Mark your calendars for a unique spring break learning opportunity that combines literacy with the arts! Join us for story based art and music that stirs imagination, discovers hidden talents, and empowers everyone to walk to the beat of their own drum!
Spring Break week--Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, April 4-6, 9:30 am - 12 pm
ACT Studio; 1140 Monroe Ave NW Suite 4101, Grand Rapids, MI 49503
It is that time of year again! This year's Best Prom Ever is quickly approaching. April 22, 1017 will be our Star Wars themed Dinner and Dance event! If you haven't registered yet, you can do so here for individuals: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf9NZGsXWtQAPf8_FcNmOMdKSwPeBv11czMBV-laPziq9BROQ/viewform?c=0&w=1
and here for group homes:
We have streamlined the questions this year, but everyone must register individually unless they are coming as a group home, which means that they have staff staying with them. For your safety and ours, we are requesting two emergency numbers. An accurate email is required. You will receive a confirmation email. WE WILL NOT BE LETTING ANYONE KNOW IF THEY ARE ALREADY REGISTERED due to shear numbers. REGISTRATION CLOSES MARCH 31, 2017 AT 5 PM!
If you have registered to volunteer in the past you will need to fill out the new forms for the background check. Here is the link: http://www.spartaschools.org/downloads/administration_office/ichat_form_-_english.pdf