Kent ISD assists our local districts and child welfare agencies with the school selection and services for children and youth in foster care.
Children and Youth in Foster Care have the right to:
- School stability through the Fostering Connections Act and new protections that are a part of Title 1a in the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA)
- An education plan that includes transportation to maintain school of origin, arranged by the child welfare agency
- Expedited enrollment if a change in school is required
- Categorical eligibility for federal school nutrition programs and Title 1a services
Need more information on educational plans for children and youth in foster care?
- County Point of Contact - Ellie Galas, West Michigan Partnership for Children, email@example.com or 616-552-9781
- Each of these local agencies also has an Education Point of Contact: Bethany, Catholic Charities, DA Blodgett, Samaritas, and Wellspring