Kent ISD Diversity Initiative
Kent ISD will be a place where all persons feel welcomed, have a right to be treated equitably and without prejudice, and have a responsibility to treat others the same way.
~ Resolution adopted by Kent ISD Board on December 14, 2009
Kent ISD school districts are building systems that Understand, Respect, and Embrace Cultural Differences by:
- Providing curriculum and instructional programs that are culturally inclusive.
- Fostering staff and students who have the will and ability to build relationships across differences.
- Promoting the healing of racism and other forms of intolerance.
2018-19 Kent ISD Diversity Professional Development
March 19, 2019 - 8:30 am - 3:30 pm
Join us for an ongoing dialogue with leaders from around the state to discuss Equity, Inclusion, Recruitment & Retention Focus. Dr. Juan Olivarez from GVSU will be interviewed by a student. There will also be a teacher panel and so much more.
Outcomes of this workshop:
- Exploration of the problem to create a shared understanding
- Amplification of solutions and effective practices related to strengthening the teacher pipeline
- Spotlight effective practices pertaining the recruitment and retention of diverse teachers
Registration fee: $35.00*
*Kent ISD Service Area Educators receive a discounted price of $30 that will appear upon checkout.
The goal for our Diversity initiative is to focus the ISD and all of our districts on diversity and healing racism to improve student achievement. Strategies include leadership/coordination for county-wide efforts, educational opportunities and communication.
DIVERSITY is the existence of an environment in which there is an awareness and understanding leading to a valuing and embracing that many perspectives exist in the world.
HEALING RACISM is the condition and environment where racism is intentionally and actively addressed in individual attitudes and institutional policies/practices.
EQUITY is when all students receive the individualized support they need to reach and exceed a common standard.