Health Career Immersion Program
Kent Intermediate School District is proud of the opportunities the Health Career Immersion program provides high school seniors. This job shadow experience allows students to explore a wide variety of health careers by observing health professionals while they work.
Students in the Health Career Immersion are placed in sites around Kent County. Following are examples of sites that may be part of this job shadow experience:
- Mercy Health - St. Mary's Campus
- Spectrum Health facilities
- Pennock Health Care
- Private offices
- Free standing clinic settings
Each site will provide exposure to a variety of careers available in the health industry.
- Students will be able to observe health career professionals in the workplace! This is an excellent career exploration activity and results in students being more informed and confident in their career decisions.
- This career exploration opportunity is for senior high school students in Kent County.
- This commitment is approximately 15 weeks for a semester and 11 weeks for a trimester.
- The typical schedule is 2 days a week for 2.5 hours a day (total of 5 hours a week).
- Students must arrange their own transportation to and from the placement sites ** Free transportation may be available! Contact us for details!
- Students may request their preferred health care facility on the application. We make every effort to honor student preferences, but due to availability, not all requests can be guaranteed. More information about placement sites.
- Some high schools grant classroom credit.
- A Parent/guardian must must attend a mandatory Kent ISD orientation.
- FAQ - Frequently asked Questions
Following The Application
Within 2 weeks of the application deadline, students will be contacted on the status of their acceptance into the Health Careers Immersion program.
Please note: Based on the number of applicants, all students may not be admitted into the program.
If accepted, completion of 3 online training modules will be required prior to the IMMERSION start date. Instructions will be provided via email.
Topics include: Bloodborne Pathogens, HIPAA, and CPRA TB test and current Influenza vaccination will also be required to participate.
All students will be expected to attend two mandatory orientations. One will be a hospital based orientation and the second will be at the Kent Intermediate School District.
The Winter/Spring Health Career Immersion students
Immersion students learning about the use of manikins at the GVSU Simulation Lab
Learn about different applications of STEAM (Science,Technology, Engineering, Arts, Math) through hands-on activities, discussions,and career exploration. Our Workshops are perfect for curious kids who want toknow how things work and why we study STEAM. This program will feature adifferent topic each month and is for kids in grades 6-8 (but younger and olderkids are welcome to stop by). Snacks and Ride to Read passes will be available.
September 6, 2017
Why did ancient people make pictures out of the stars? Whogets to name a constellation? Learn all about the science and mythology behindconstellations, recreate famous ones, and even design your own from real starmaps.
October 4, 2017
Learn the principles of water power by assembling afunctioning robotic arm that moves using hydraulic power!
November 1, 2017
Kinetic Creatures are walking cardboard animals that youbuild from a kit! You'll learn about movement and engineering while you help usput together Rory, Geno, and Elly.
December 6, 2017
Electricity can happen anywhere! Design your own circuit onpaper and light up LEDs using copper tape and conductive ink.
January 3, 2018
If you had fun creating circuits on paper, then you'll lovethis workshop where we'll create our own fashionable circuitry. Kids areencouraged to bring old clothing for themselves but extra supplies will be available.
February 7, 2018
Use your engineering skills to create geometric bubble wandsand watch how the design affects the shapes of the bubbles.
March 7, 2018
In this workshop we will make a slime that reacts to astrong magnet. You can make it move and dance!
April 4, 2018
Get ready for Earth Day by using recycled light bulbs tocreate your own mini terrarium with moss and other tiny plants.
May 2, 2018
BristleBots are tiny simple robots that move with the powerof vibration. We can study how they move by creating obstacle courses, paintingwith them, and racing them.